By Marc Leepson
What So Proudly We Hailed is the 1st full-length biography of Francis Scott Key in additional than seventy five years. during this interesting examine early the US, historian Marc Leepson explores the lifestyles and legacy of Francis Scott Key. status along Betsy Ross, Thomas Paine, Patrick Henry, Paul Revere, and John Hancock in historical past, Key made his mark as an American icon via one unmarried and unforgettable act, writing "The Star-Spangled Banner."
Among different issues, Leepson reveals:
• How the younger Washington legal professional came across himself in Baltimore Harbor at the evening of September 13-14, 2014
• The mysterious conditions surrounding how the poem he wrote, first titled "The safeguard of toes. M'Henry," morphed into the nationwide Anthem
• secret is function in forming the yank Colonization Society, and his decades-long fervent help for that debatable pastime that despatched loose blacks to Africa
• His adamant competition to slave trafficking and his willingness to symbolize slaves and freed women and men at no cost in Washington's courts
• secret is position as a confidant of President Andrew Jackson and his paintings in Jackson's "kitchen cabinet"
• secret's debatable activities as U.S. lawyer in the course of the first race revolt in Washington, D.C., in 1835.
Publishing to coincide with the two hundredth anniversary of "The big name Spangled Banner" in 2014, What So Proudly We Hailed finds unexplored info of the lifetime of an American patriot whose legacy has been mostly unknown till now.
Read or Download What So Proudly We Hailed: Francis Scott Key, A Life PDF
Best ethnic & national books
Within the spirit of Piri Thomas’s Down those suggest Streets and Maya Angelou’s i do know Why the Caged chicken Sings, author and activist Kevin Powell’s memoir—“illuminating…an schooling for us all” (USA Today)—vividly recounts the bad poverty of his adolescence and his struggles to beat a legacy of anger, violence, and self-hatred.
This publication of distinctive biographies used to be released in 1821. --The heritage of Andrew Whitson. --The Rev. George Harvest; or The Absent guy. --Sam condominium, typically referred to as Sir Samuel condominium, the Patriotic Publican of Soho. --Charles Mc. Ghie, or Mackey. --The Witch of the Wold; or The Westmoreland Recluse. --Charles rate, the infamous Impostor.
"I have by no means ahead of learn whatever other than Nabokov’s communicate, reminiscence that so relentlessly and shrewdly exhausted the kindness and cruelty of recollection’s shaping units. " —Geoffrey WolffBorn in Czechoslovakia, Mark Slouka’s mom and dad survived the Nazis purely to need to get away the Communist purges after the warfare.
Homicide at Mill Circle is a stunning story a haunted local. Crime, ardour, homicide, and literary celebrities like Henry David Thoreau, offer a backdrop to the deaths of citizens in a small New England local in the course of early nineteenth century and the mineral spring on the epicenter of difficulty. Biography and historical past merge during this real tale.
- Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou
- Reds Under the Bed: ASIO and an Unusual Bunch of Suspects
- Call the Nurse: True Stories of a Country Nurse on a Scottish Isle
- A Tiger's Heart: The Story of a Modern Chinese Woman
Extra resources for What So Proudly We Hailed: Francis Scott Key, A Life
What So Proudly We Hailed: Francis Scott Key, A Life by Marc Leepson